Sunday 17 April 2016

J is for Jackson



Above is Emily winning Best of Breed at the Bulla Amenities Maple Show. I am so very proud of my girl.

Because she won her breed, we had to stay for Group Specials, and consequently I am too tired when I get home to do anything except collapse into bed with Emily and the cats. However, on waking I do manage to force out a measly couple of hundred words, just to meet the day's Camp NaNo goal.

Today is J, and I've chosen to watch a movie that's been kicking about the place for ages - Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters. In theory, this should energise me to go on writing, but I know already before I start that that just isn't going to happen. I'll be lucky to stay awake for the film, particularly if it's as terrible as the title and blurb suggest. But I want to get it out of the way today, because then I can tick off the letter J and tomorrow I can do something more productive, like clean the kitchen or something.

The movie is as I expected. A group of idealistic teenagers go on a quest and save the world. It's cute and lame, but I quite enjoy it because hey, teenagers being heroes. What is it about teenagers anyway? Why do we still want to watch movies about them when we're much older? I'm 58 and I still do. Personally, I think it's because none of us ever succeeds in being - I won't even say stunning, but even remotely as cool as we'd like to be when we actually are teenagers, so we eternally relive those years vicariously through Buffy et alia. On our behalf they punch out the bullies who made our own lives a burden. It's awesome.

It takes me longer than it should to watch the film because I keep pausing it to watch the videos of Emily in the ring again. So sue me - I'm so proud of my beautiful girl.




No comments:

Post a Comment