Tuesday 29 December 2015

Book review - The Circuit Rider's Bride, by Ray Anselmo



Ray Anselmo truly never disappoints. When I received The Circuit Rider's Bride, I was a bit ho-hum about it. I thought 'a lurve story set in the Old West. Yawn'. I should have known better; Anselmo's never written anything I didn't like, and this book is no exception.

The story commences ordinarily enough, with the popular trope of an arranged marriage where the man is less than willing. But within a very few pages, the big twist appears. I'm not going to spoil the moment of discovery for potential readers, but I will just say that this book is different.

On the level of romance, it's a nice, well-written love story, squeaky clean and with believable characters and plenty of drama. On the level of inspirational fiction, it's a great piece of Christian fiction, with some very solid bible knowledge behind it. I don't know whether the vast knowledge of the bible's teachings on certain things that's displayed in this book is the result of diligent research or if Anselmo just knows his bible that well - but either way I am hugely impressed. Nevertheless, readers uninterested in the spiritual message will not find it a burden. There is no lecturing by the author, as we see in less skilfully wrought works of this genre.

On a socio-political level, the book has a real presence too. It's a lovely pice of ammunition in the fight against racism.

All around, a fabulous read, and I could hardly put it down.

The Circuit Rider's Bride is available from AMAZON. While you're there, check out my own romance novella, Operation Tomcat.



No comments:

Post a Comment