Thursday 26 November 2015

Book review: Hostile Witness, by Rebecca Forster



 

Hostile Witness is billed as a legal thriller, and I don't know that I really agree with that classification; although it's true that the whole thing is about a murder trial, nothing in the plot hinges on a matter of law; it is all about matters of fact. To me, it seemed more appropriately designated a psychological thriller.

This, though, is just by the way - this quibble certainly didn't affect my enjoyment of a complex and brilliantly excecuted thriller. It was exciting, believable and scary as hell. The courtroom scenes were beautifully done, and if Ms Forster is not in the law herself I am sure she has at least logged many courtroom hours in the pursuit of verisimilitude. The characters were engaging and realistic, in the psychological sense. An excellent beginning caught the reader from the first page, and the book didn't let go. I'd certainly like to read more from this author.

I was slightly irritated at the apparent carelessness of the proofreading of this fine book. Frequent homophone errors (not that frequent, but I did notice at least four or five, and that is four or five too many for a published work) were a nagging irritant.

Hostile Witness is available on AMAZON in ebook, paperback and audible editions, and also on  SMASHWORDS.

No comments:

Post a Comment