Tuesday 10 November 2015

Book review: Brendon & Carson's Ninja Training and Adventures, by Rod Stoner



When I accepted this book for review I was mistaken about the nature of it; I thought it was going to be one of those novels that turn out differently when you choose different options at various points. It is actually a book of puzzles, and I wasn't willing to spend hours doing them, especially on my Kindle. I really don't know how suitable e-format is for a book of puzzles that include a lot of mazes and 'hidden letter' puzzles, but then I'm reviewing the content, not the formatting.

The puzzles themselves seemed like good ones for anyone who likes that sort of thing and there are plenty of them. The way they were all bound together by the ninja story was nicely done. The book would be a good resource for a rainy day, or for a sick child confined to bed.

A word of caution, though. The book needs to be properly proofread. Things like 'have went', and plurals formed with apostrophes, may be overlookable in independent fiction for adults, but a book that's intended for children should never set such an appalling example. Because of this, I was unable to award the four stars I'd have given the book otherwise.

Available from AMAZON  in both ebook and large print paperback. 

No comments:

Post a Comment