Saturday 15 February 2014

Guest post - Georgie Ramsey, author of Sex, Lies and Corned Beef Pies!


My guest this morning is the talented Georgie Ramsey, author of the wonderful book 'Sex, Lies and Corned Beef Pies!' which I reviewed last Sunday. Aside from writing this delightful book, Georgie is remarkable for another achievement, which I will leave her to tell you about.


Georgie writes:

‘Sex, Lies and Corned Beef Pies!’ was actually born out of NaNo 2013. This is a competition, involving writers from around the globe, and their task is to write a novel in just one month. I’m sure you can imagine how frantic the last few months have been, because it is one almighty challenge!
I started to think about the plot and the characters in about September of last year, but put the novel on the back burner while I worked on other projects. When they came to an end, and November 1st hit, the NaNo gates opened and I went for it. I spent every spare minute I could writing. I don’t think I slept... and I still have the dark, sunken eyes to prove it!

The first draft was complete by the deadline given (November 30th), but it naturally needed quite a bit of work doing to it! So, I spent the next couple of months intensively re-drafting and editing the novel.

I know a month to complete the draft of a novel is quite a task – believe me, I felt the strain! – but I wanted to do it as a personal challenge, and to help me develop my skills as a writer. It worked, but I didn’t expect to have a useable book by the end of it. Nevertheless, I did, and was pleasantly surprised, and wasn’t quite expecting the feeling of pure joy when it flashed up that I, and ‘Sex, Lies & Corned Beef Pies!’ were indeed a NaNo winner.

This is actually my first novel. I have published many novellas before, and the reviews have been amazing, but this was my first tentative venture into the territory of 50,000+ words. It’s a rom-com, chick-lit, girly book, - call it what you will - I just hope it gives the readers a few laughs along the way. It’s set in the UK, and across a 12 month period in the life of a young student called Mae. Here’s the synopsis:

‘Mae Ophelia Ball, is a desperate, penniless student, who in a moment of madness is prepared to do anything – well, almost anything – for a bit of extra cash! She puts her moral conscience to one side when she takes advice from the glamorous Lottie, and sets herself up as a phone sex operator, in order to earn a few extra quid. However, the glamour of a job in the sex industry soon wears off, and one of her callers, an elderly man called Bert, comes to her rescue. She soon learns that money isn’t everything, but has this lesson come a little too late?’

I really hope that you like ‘Sex, Lies & Corned Beef Pies!’ as much as I enjoyed writing it for you, and if you want to message me and let me know what you think, you can find me on Facebook at:
https://www.facebook.com/GeorginaRamseyAuthor.

‘Sex, Lies & Corned Beef Pies!’ is available to download from Amazon.









No comments:

Post a Comment